The CSkills' South East Advisory Forum was held at Guildford on Wednesday March 13. The presenters were Kim Leonard (Grant Scheme Manager) and Liz Steele (CDA, West Hampshire and IoW)
Items covered included:
• Grant Scheme update
• Recruiting apprentices
• Issues and topics for future meetings
• New Grant Scheme to be considered on June 19
• 78,000 companies on CITB Register
• 2009 - 22,637 claiming Grant
• 2012 - 14,267 claiming Grant
The steady decline in companies claiming Grant has prompted initiatives: £25,000 available through the Training Groups to energise workforce development. This will continue into 2014.
Attendance Grants could increase to £50 per day.
Levy calculated by 0.5% for payroll staff; 1.5% for labour only.
Companies need to be aware of this, and of the financial implications.
• Apprentice training received top level rating from first-ever Ofsted inspection.
• Work Experience Project progressing well. It is aimed at 16-18-year-olds (2 weeks' duration in company, with £100 donation on completion).
• Guest speakers required - on Employment Law, CSCS Cards and Sustainability.
Also: Issue raised around new criteria for Group Training Officers is causing concern. It suggests the person in the role should not be a provider of training, nor manage a company that does so. Clarification is required from the ITG national Chairman's Select Committee.
Next meeting: Wednesday September 18, at Guildford.